Whale and Dolphin watching in Mirissa – 5 minutes away
Whale and Dolphin watching is thrilling activity and well worth the approx. two hour early morning commute to the Mirissa harbor and the one hour ride out to deep sea. One hour will be spent watching the largest mammals on the planet.
Weligama Village- 10 minutes away
Wander around the picturesque Weligama bay, with its charming village atmosphere and dive. Amongst its expansive shallow reefs, undersea Rock formations, and an array of marine life that will blow your senses
White Tea Plantation in Handungoda-25 minutes away
Drive through the crafted beauty of the hills and valleys of the tea estates of the award-winning Handungoda, a 200 acre property, comprising of tea, Rubber, cinnamon, pepper and coconut plantations. Enjoy the charming tour of the tea factory, which is now is a living and working museum
Turtle Farm & Hatchery in Habaraduwa-25 minutes away
Enjoy a hands on experience to handle and release the turtles in the popular sea turtle hatchery in Habaraduwa, a non-profitable organization which has been saving hundreds of thousands of Sea turtles to the ocean since 1986.
Dutch Fort, Galle – 30 minutes away
Located in the coastal town of Galle, this ancient Dutch Fort has now been declared a ‘World Heritage’ site. After the capture of the town of Galle from the Portuguese in 1640, the Dutch East India Co. (VOC) began constructing fortifications that covered approximately eighty- seven acres of land. Interesting sites within the ramparts of the fort include the original gateway, traditional Dutch buildings, the light house, the first maritime museum of Sri Lanka and a Dutch church built in 1752. A day trip to the Galle Dutch Fort is an experience in itself and well worth the time.
Koggala Lake Boat Safari– 30 minutes away
Discover the peace and serenity of beautiful waterways surrounded by nature on a gentle boat ride through the Koggala Lake. Spot birds like purple and grey herons, majestic white-bellied sea eagles, Pompadour green pigeons, and parakeets on your journey, as well as explore nearby islands like the monkey island, Bird Island, Temple Island and Cinnamon Island.
Hummanya “blow hole” in Dickwella– 35 minutes away
Spend a day exploring the second largest in the league of blow holes, whose gushing sea water shoots up to 25m. Spend the rest of the afternoon strolling around the nearby quaint Dickwella town, filled with cafes and restaurants, and take photos of its largest sitting Buddha statue in Sri Lanka.
Kanneliya – Dediyagalanakiyadeiya (KDN) Rain forest- 60 minutes away
Enter the beautiful KDN rainforest, one of the last remaining rainforest in Sri Lanka, designated as a biosphere reserve in 2004. Hike amongst Flora and fauna endemic to Sri Lanka, including a variety of birds, mammals, fish, reptile, flowers and rare plants found throughout the mountain’s Impressive ranges and valleys
Udawalawe National Park- 90 minutes away
Be immersed in the Udawalawe national park, centered on the 308-sq-km Udawalawe reservoir, where sensational herds of elephants, wild buffalo, sambar deer and leopards roam free
Water and Beachside
- Whale & Dolphin watching-Boats depart from Galle Harbour (40min)
- Surfing at Midigama (15 min)
- Check out the Beach Nightlife at Mirissa (10 min)
- Brunch, shop and meander the streets of Galle Fort a historic UNESCO site (40min)
- Kogalla Lake Boat Rides (30min)
- Diving, Snorkeling and Stilt Fisherman – Wehligama / Kamburugamuwa
- Visit and support the Turtle hatcheryat Habaraduwa (20 min)
- Visit the many coastal towns including Unawatuna, Ambalangoda and Hikkaduwa
- Wander around Kandavahari TempleMirissa (5 min)
- Stroll through historic Matara Fort town (10 min)
- Take a drive to Dickwella Town and beaches (30min)
- Visit Tangalle Town and the Ancient Ruins at Tissa (60min)
- Chill on the beach and Mingle with the crowd at Mirissa Beach (10min)
- Take a Boat through the Tranquil Waterways and dehlight in the peaceful sounds of nature
- Be surprised in Ruhuna National Park (Yala) - Take a Safari and see the Leopards, Elephants, Eagles, and more
- Delight your senses at the beautiful Udawalawe National Park - renowned for its array of animal and bird species and get close to the elephants
- Visit the best of many beautiful forests including the Sinharaja Rain Forest, Kottawa Forest, Kanneliya Forest Reserve
- Bundala Bird Sanctuary, a vast wetland for birds
- Snake Farm in Weligama
- Delight in the historic surroundings of Tea Factories in the Galle area