Reservations
Resorts
Arrival 14 Thu 2019 , November
Depature 15 Fri 2019 , November
Guests
-
+
Rooms
-
+
Nationality

The Kalutara Bodhiya

Located at the southern end of the 38m Kalutara Bridge, the three-storey Kalutara Bodhiya (Temple) was built in the 1960s and holds the distinction of being the only stupa in the world that is hollow and has access to the inside.

In the 16th century, this sacred site was turned into a Portuguese Fort. Though no harm is supposed to have been done to the Bodhiya, it was not venerated by the people during that period. It was after the planting of a Bo Tree, in the Pahala Maluwa (lower terrace) by an Indian Prince named Wickrama Pandya in 1042 A.D., that the public began to venerate and consider the site as a sacred place.

Inquire Now

We will respond as soon as possible, generally within few hours