The Kalutara Bodhiya
Located at the southern end of the 38m Kalutara Bridge, the three-storey-high Kalutara Bodhiya (Temple) was built in the 1960s and holds the distinction of being the only stupa (steeple) in the world that is hollow and has access to the inside.
In the 16th century, this sacred site was turned into a Portuguese Fort. Though no harm is supposed to have been done to the Bodhiya, it was not venerated by the people during that period. It was after the planting of a Bo Tree, Pahala Maluwa (lower terrace) by an Indian Prince named Wickrama Pandya in 1042 A.D., that the public began to venerate and consider the site as a sacred place.